The program CapaCity – Urban Competences pursues a more deepened international cooperation between the City of Vienna, its organizations and other cities. Several initiatives in the Danube region already have pushed forward cooperation and intensification of social and economic exchange between countries, regions and cities (f.i. the enlargement of the European Union in 2004 & 2007; the establishment of the European Strategy for the Danube Region), nevertheless the City of Vienna now focuses on the internationalization of organizations and companies in order to generate common project ideas. Integrated urban development as holistic smart city approach is the main aspect of future activities within the program CapaCity but the Municipal Department for European Affairs (MA 27) as initiator of the CapaCity Program pursues to widen the range of topics for city cooperations.
The following activities are designed within the project CapaCity in order to support Viennese companies and organisations to deepen internationalization and activities in CEE and SEE:
- Organization of workshops in selected cities and towns with participation of Vienna stakeholders. The main aim of these workshops is follow-up activities.
- Coordination and collection of statistics of visiting delegations and experts to Vienna organisations and companies with particular interest in Vienna urban solutions.
- Representation at events, relevant for smart city expert networks & cooperation ideas.
- Research on and collection of relevant challenges for future urban development with regard to important cross-border and transnational projects and attractive co-financing instruments.
- Development of project ideas, triggered by municipal expert exchange on the basis of organized workshops in CapaCity partner cities.